Harry W. Gray was born into slavery in 1852 at Arlington House, an estate overlooking the Potomac River in Alexandria. His house is a designated Arlington County landmark.
A little bit of history of the house
The Harry W. Gray House, located at 1005 South Quinn Street in Arlington, Virginia was constructed in 1881 in the Italianate style. The masonry dwelling, constructed of five-course American-bond brick, presents a rectangular footprint and freestanding rowhouse form typical of urban settings. Standing two stories in height, the three-bay-wide dwelling, which faces north, sits on a solid brick foundation. Capped by a standing-seam metal shallow-pitched shed roof, the dwelling also features 212 wood windows, two interior-end brick chimneys with corbeled caps, and a full-width one-story porch, which stretches across the faqade. A highly decorative Italianate-style entablature caps the facade. A small wood-frame porch on the southeast comer of the L-shaped dwelling was enclosed circa 1960. The dwelling is located in Gray's Subdivision of the Arlington View neighborhood, a middle-class community with an historically African-American heritage. The Harry W. Gray House is located on a 0129-acre sloping lot with a grassy yard, brick driveway, and landscaping. A wooden fence partially encloses the property. A small, non-historic shed is located on the northwest comer of the sit. The property is in excellent condition and has had little exterior alteration since its construction.
via Arlington County.